compattelrunner.exe is a highly malicious executable file belonging to the Family of Trojan Horses.
The team of remote hackers creates it with the primary purpose of making illegal money through the manipulation of innocent users.
It can invade all versions of the Windows operating system such as Windows XP, Windows7, Windows8, Windows8.1 and the latest version of Windows10.
It enters into your system without your awareness of the freeware software package, such as video downloader, download manager, PDF creator, etc. that users download and install on your system.
Once infiltrated, compattelrunner.exe will begin to do many destructive actions. Some of the most popular malicious actions are listed below:
- This will compromise the target PC and modify the internal system configuration.
- It can disable the firewall, task manager, control panel, etc.
- It can corrupt your system files and Windows records.
- It can add other harmful infections to damage your system further.
- It can decelerate overall performance and makes your PC useless.
compattelrunner.exe (Trojan virus) enters when installing unsafe applications or programs, click on ads or links, without reading anything just attach open email spam, torrent files download, etc.
change security settings and allow another virus or malware to enter the system. It is entirely a function of the system assault.
compattelrunner.exe is a really unsafe threat, which aims to change the registry settings, start-up, system files. It’s run the file as hidden inside PC and tends to cause changes.
In addition, it generates unstoppable ad like ads, banner, offer, promotional links, etc. is a hazardous threat that causes irritations in the system.
It allows criminals to gain remote access and steal informational information. It is only used to make income. Therefore, it suggests to browse down the solution and remove compattelrunner.exe.
compattelrunner.exe is a legitimate file that is used by the Windows operating system to ensure that some specific programs run correctly.
However, many cybercriminals make use of this filename to circulate their own infectious files which once established on a computer starts up and replace the original that causes the system to launch compattelrunner.exe errors on the screen.
If such conditions happen to your computer, you would immediately notice the issue of system instability, and PC starts to freeze and hang regularly.
This dangerous process elevates other processes to gain administrator rights, and they will begin to control the infected PC.
The location for storing changes compattelrunner.exe depending on the version of the operating system used.
This file is probably located in both system32 or c: \ winnt \ system32 files. In some cases, it is stored in the dllcache directory if it is present on your PC.
Since the process name looks very genuine, so it can easily disguise itself.
How does the compattelrunner.exe error work?
Infections compattelrunner.exe install its executable on the marked PC in a very secret way.
They copy their loads into the Windows system folders and change the logs simultaneously so that this file runs automatically every time the system boots.
compattelrunner.exe will modify the subkey named as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Run to get initialized at PC startup.
Once it is established, it also connects the workstation to a remote host in order to perform unpleasant tasks such as:
- for arbitrary downloads of harmful files in Backdoor
- to receive coded instructions from your developer
- to get the secret configuration
- to transfer cheated data on the infected PC to the remote server
Some common error messages
- “Compattelrunner.exe application error.”
- “Compattelrunner.exe is not a valid Win32 application.”
- “Compattelrunner.exe. This program is not responding.
- “Error starting the program: compattelrunner.exe.”
- “Application path failed: compattelrunner.exe.”
- “Compattelrunner.exe failed.”
How does compattelrunner.exe get inside the PC?
Cybercriminals use multiple means to circulate compattelrunner.exe on the target PC.
It could come through malicious website hyperlinks, grouping, social engineering spam, peer-to-peer file-sharing networks, email attachments and so on.
It can exploit PC security vulnerabilities and be installed secretly without your knowledge.
Another easy way is to attach the burden with spam e-mail campaigns, and cyber-criminals do this a lot.
Such spam emails are designed very cunningly with fake header information giving an impression that mail is coming from some governmental organization, shipping company and so on.
Usually, these emails have so much grammar and misspellings.
At some point, cyber-criminals also promote compattelrunner.exe as useful software or a necessary Windows system file. For example, you may notice a fake message asking you to update Java or Adobe Flash Player files, and so on.
Problems and Damage caused by compattelrunner.exe
First, understand that compattelrunner.exe is not an unattended infection and instead is bound to bring in so many other malware infections by exploiting the security breaches.
Thus, you will face several online as well as offline performance issues simultaneously and commits to the security of personal data as well. Some of the common problems you may notice are:
- Shows false alerts claiming that your PC is infected with malware
- Prompts victims to click on unpleasant notification hyperlinks to fix problems
- Redirects the website about sponsored dangerous sites
- Blocks access to multiple legitimate programs
- Automatically turns off important processes and records
Most dll files are useful, and they are responsible for smoothly performing predefined functions.
However, there are malicious programs, including malware and browser hijackers that are made from dll files like compattelrunner.exe and change important PC settings unnecessarily.
They even allow cyber-criminals to gain access to their workstation.
Let’s learn how to remove manually compattelrunner.exe
- Open the command prompt window: Press the “Start” button on the taskbar and go to “Run” to start the “run” tool. Type the “cmd” command on it and press the “OK” button.
- Locate the dll files: Once the command prompt window opens, you have to find the exact path as mentioned in the image below. Type “CD” to change the current directory and press the space button, enter the path of the dlll file and press Enter. Use the “dir” command if you want to display the content on the screen.
- Unregister the unwanted dll: After locating the directory where you want to uninstall the dll, type “regsvr32 / u [DLL_NAME]” and then press the Enter button.
- Unsuccessful unsubscription: Once the target dll files get unregistered, a confirmation message appears on the screen.
The above mentioned manual steps can fix compattelrunner.exe, but there is always a chance that you can not detect it on its own as it is very misleading.
The process is complicated and requires a lot of precision and expertise. So it’s always best to use a powerful anti-malware tool, especially for beginner users.