Officeclicktorun.exe is an executable file that runs as a service called ‘Microsoft Office Click To Run Service.’ Helps manage resource coordination, background transmission, and integration of Microsoft office product systems. The file officeclicktorun.exe is compatible with different operating system.
officeclicktorun.exe is one of the insecure executable files. Usually, the forms of adware virus. It is usually located in another location in the system unit and makes you think it is an original file. Once, this file enters within the system causes inconvenience. officeclicktorun.exe to change the default settings of the PC and the web browser to cause inconvenience.
officeclicktorun.exe used to enter through the application or insecure programs when users continue to visit the website that continues to display insecure content, click on insecure pp-up or ads that continue to appear on every web page you visit. Tricks used by remote criminals to filter the informative details of the users and use them for their earned purpose.
What is officeclicktorun.exe ?
officeclicktorun.exe is a legitimate file that uses the Windows operating system to ensure that some specific programs run correctly. However, many of the cybercriminals make use of this file name to circulate their own infectious files that once installed on a computer is started and replace the original one that causes the system to throw the officeclicktorun.exe errors on the screen.
If such conditions happen with your computer, you would immediately notice the problem of system instability and the PC freezes and hang up regularly. This dangerous process elevates other processes to get administration rights and will control the infected PC.
The storage location of officeclicktorun.exe changes depending on the version of the operating system used. Most likely, this file’s is location is in the c: \ windows \ system32 or c: \ Winnt \ System32 directories. Sometimes, it is stored in the dllcache directory if it is present on your PC. Since the name of the process looks very genuine; therefore, it easily disguises itself.
How does the error officeclicktorun.exe work?
The infections officeclicktorun.exe install their executable on the marked PC in a very secret way. They copy their payloads in Windows system folders and alter records simultaneously so that this file runs automatically every time it starts the system.
Officeclicktorun.exe will change the subkey named HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Run so that it starts at the start of the PC. Once it settles, it also connects the workstation with a remote host to perform unpleasant tasks such as:
- to download arbitrary harmful files in the back door
- receive coded instructions from your developer
- to get the secret configuration
- to transfer cheated data on the infected PC to the remote server
Some common error messages
- “Officeclicktorun.exe application error.”
- “Error in the application path: officeclicktorun.exe.”
- “Officeclicktorun.exe. “This program does not respond.”
- “Error when starting the program: officeclicktorun.exe.”
- “Officeclicktorun.exe is not a valid Win32 application.”
- “Officeclicktorun.exe failed.”
How do you get officeclicktorun.exe inside the PC?
Cybercriminals use multiple means to circulate officeclicktorun.exe on the target PC. It could come through hyperlinks from malicious websites, grouping, social engineering spam, peer-to-peer file-sharing networks, email attachments and so on. It can exploit your PC security vulnerabilities and is installed in secret without your knowledge.
Another easy way is to attach the payload with spam email campaigns and cyber-crooks doing this a lot. Spammers design such emails so cleverly with header information forged giving an impression that the mail comes from some government organization, a shipping company and so on. Normally, these emails have many grammatical and spelling errors.
At some point, cyber-criminals also promote officeclicktorun.exe as useful software or a necessary Windows system file. For example, you may notice a false message asking you to update Java or Adobe Flash Player files and so on.
Problems and damages caused by officeclicktorun.exe
First, understand that officeclicktorun.exe is not an independent infection and, rather, it is bound to bring so many other viral infections by exploiting security loopholes. Therefore, you will face several performance problems online, as well as offline simultaneously and commit to the security of personal data as well. Some of the common issues that can be noticed are:
- Displays fake alerts that say it infects your PC with malware
- Ask victims to click on unpleasant notification hyperlinks to solve problems
- Redirects the website about sponsored dangerous websites
- Blocks access to several legitimate programs
- Automatically deactivates important processes and records
Most dll files are useful and execute pre-defined functions without problems. However, there are malicious programs including malware and browser hijackers that comprise dll files like officeclicktorun.exe and alter important PC settings unnecessarily. They even allow cyber-criminals to access their workstation.
How to remove this file from PC?
- Open the command prompt window: Press the “Start” button in the taskbar and go to “Run” to start the “Run” tool. Write the “cmd” command on it and press the “OK” button.
- Locate dll files: once the command prompt window opens, you have to locate the exact path as mentioned in the screenshot below. Type “CD” to change the current directory, press the Space button, enter the path of the dlll file, and then press Enter. Use the “dir” command if you want to display the content on the screen.
- unregister the unwanted dll: after locating the directory from which you want to uninstall the dll file, type “regsvr32 / u [DLL_NAME]” and click on the Enter button.
- cancel the registration successfully: once the targeted dll files are deregistered, a conformation message appears on the screen.
The steps mentioned above can fix officeclicktorun.exe, but there is always a chance that you will not detect it on your own, as it is very misleading. The process is cumbersome and requires a lot of precision and experience. Therefore, it is always better to use a powerful anti-malware tool, especially for novice users.