Winlogon.exe is a genuine file associated with the Windows NT logon application.
It works for the Windows operating system and is located in the ‘system32’ folder.
Its presence can, however, bring several dangerous issues to the compromised PC, such as frequent system crash, hard drive failure, boot errors, malfunctioning application, data loss and more.
Due to this exe file, you may be bothered by getting thousands of annoying ads on every webpage you visit that interrupts your web sessions badly.
It can take you to sponsored web portals where you are forced to install fake software or buy useless products that are useless to your system.
And therefore, in order to prevent all such threats from occurring, you are strongly advised to remove WINLOGON.EXE from the machine immediately.
WINLOGON.EXE is the software program, which is installed by you on the Windows system.
However, as real users believe they are votes files for Windows Which Run. It is located in C Generally drive system.
But, you are not aware of the act, instead of the original files, giving permission and download malicious viruses or malware instead of WINLOGON.EXE.
It is a really dangerous threat that causes hassles in the target system.
If you really want to get rid of such vulnerable symptoms, to remove WINLOGON.EXE suggested instantly.
Generally, WINLOGON.EXE creates many folders in a different location. While users double-click on it to do, it runs the code and spread malicious files on the Windows ITS system.
In addition, it lurks deep within your system damage files and causes system. It maliciously loads your files into registry entries and causes annoying problems.
In addition, WINLOGON.EXE switch start-up system files to cause annoying problems on the target system.
These malicious files use to enter install any application When Promoted as free or cost program, users without reading anything just click the update for Java Script or application, open e-mail attachment, etc.
Once, WINLOGON.EXE even changes the settings of the web browser.
It tends to change the default web browser settings as an error, home page, without letting users report on this. It only makes in destination system hassles.
Therefore, to seek to remove any effective solution to remove WINLOGON.EXE as an instant PC.
WINLOGON.EXE is a legitimate file that is used by the Windows operating system to ensure that some specific programs run correctly.
However, many cybercriminals make use of this filename to circulate their own infectious files.
Which once established on a computer starts up and replace the original that causes the system to launch WINLOGON.EXE errors on the screen.
If such conditions happen to your computer, you would immediately notice the issue of system instability, and PC starts to freeze and hang on a regular basis.
This dangerous process elevates other processes to gain administrator rights, and they will begin to control the infected PC.
The WINLOGON.EXE change storage location depending on the version of the operating system used.
This file is probably located in both system32 or c: \ winnt \ system32 files. In some cases, it is stored in the dllcache directory if it is present on your PC.
Since the process name looks very genuine, so it can easily disguise itself.
How does the WINLOGON.EXE error work?
WINLOGON.EXE infections install your executable on the marked PC in a very secret way.
They copy their loads into the Windows system folders and change the logs simultaneously so that this file runs automatically every time the system boots.
WINLOGON.EXE will modify the subkey named as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Run to get initialized at PC startup.
Once it is established, it also connects the workstation to a remote host in order to perform unpleasant tasks such as:
- for arbitrary downloads of harmful files in Backdoor
- to receive coded instructions from your developer
- to get the secret configuration
- to transfer cheated data on the infected PC to the remote server
Some common error messages
- “WINLOGON.EXE application error.”
- “WINLOGON.EXE is not a valid Win32 application.”
- “WINLOGON.EXE. This program is not responding.
- “Error Starting Program: WINLOGON.EXE.”
- “Application path failed: WINLOGON.EXE.”
- “WINLOGON.EXE failed.”
How WINLOGON.EXE gets inside the PC?
Cyber criminals use multiple means to drive WINLOGON.EXE on the target PC.
It could come through malicious website hyperlinks, grouping, social engineering spam, peer-to-peer file sharing networks, email attachments and so on.
It has the ability to exploit PC security vulnerabilities and be installed secretly without your knowledge.
Another easy way is to attach the burden with spam e-mail campaigns, and cyber-criminals do this a lot.
Such spam emails are designed very cunningly with fake header information giving an impression that mail is coming from some governmental organization, shipping company and so on.
Usually, these emails have so much grammar and misspellings.
At some point, cyber-criminals also promote WINLOGON.EXE as useful software or a necessary Windows system file.
For example, you may notice a fake message asking you to update Java or Adobe Flash Player files, and so on.
Problems and Damage Caused by WINLOGON.EXE
First, understand that WINLOGON.EXE is not an unattended infection and instead is bound to bring in so many other malware infections by exploiting the security breaches.
Thus, you will face several online as well as offline performance issues simultaneously and commits to the security of personal data as well.
Some of the common problems you may notice are:
- Shows false alerts claiming that your PC is infected with malware
- Prompts victims to click on unpleasant notification hyperlinks to fix problems
- Redirects the website about sponsored dangerous sites
- Blocks access to multiple legitimate programs
- Automatically turns off important processes and records
Most dll files are useful, and they are responsible for smoothly performing predefined functions.
However, there are malicious programs including malware and browser hijackers that are made of dll files like WINLOGON.EXE and change important PC settings unnecessarily.
They even allow cyber-criminals to gain access to their workstation.
How to remove the WINLOGON.EXE file from the PC?
- Open the command prompt window: Press the “Start” button on the taskbar and go to “Run” to start the “run” tool. Type the “cmd” command on it and press the “OK” button.
- Locate the dll files: Once the command prompt window opens, you have to find the exact path as mentioned in the image below. Type “CD” to change the current directory, press the space button, enter the path of the dlll file and press Enter. Use the “dir” command if you want to display the content on the screen.
- Unregister the unwanted dll: After locating the directory where you want to uninstall the dll, type “regsvr32 / u [DLL_NAME]” and press the Enter button.
- Unsuccessful unsubscription: Once the target dll files get unregistered, a conformation message appears on the screen.
Winlogon.exe is a system program that is responsible for the system boot and user authentication.
In the list of running processes, it should be in a single copy. Otherwise, you need to check your computer for viruses.
Specializing In Error Codes & Problem Solving